Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Won't Someone Buy Don Gerard's Memories, Vol. 7.5


"For some reason the memory of a benefit concert we put together for Steve Shields' (aka "Steve Pride") family popped into my head this morning, but I could not remember who all performed.

Steve was walking home through West Side Park and was jumped by some kids who broke his jaw. Chris Knight helped us put together a show at the old Blind Pig and we raised, like, $500 (which, when you are poor and have a new baby, can really help get you through a week or two).


I know Mike Clayton did and I am sure Lynn Canfield sang...Maybe the guys from Braid? I would be shocked if Ed Burch did not do a song with Jay. A whole bunch of people played. If you remember this show please comment."

1999 Interview with Steve LINK

Historicism isn’t just a passing fancy for Pride, either. With its obvious hand in his work, from the bluesey tales of deceit to the darkly textured Southern Gothic tales peppering his album, Pride’s work is clearly guided by the hand of more traditional American music than rock’n’roll. It’s an influence Pride revels in, drawing on back-woods elements.



...In other news:

...for the 10th anniversary of the break-up of Moon Seven Times the band held a brief* reunion** at South Side Elementary School. Todd Fletcher (guitar on final tour) with Lynn Canfield and Don Gerard.


*
(one song - and not even an M7x song)
**
(sans the "real talent")

1 comment:

Lynndi Lauper said...

Wow. I remember when Steve got hurt, and I remember the song I wrote about that, but I don't remember what we did to be helpful. Did I sing? Did I tapdance?

Oh well. I also don't remember our 10 year reunion show, which was about two weeks ago, right? But I know the audience did not wander off to the bar to complain or out to the parking lot for a quickie.