Tuesday, February 6, 2007

a little more Soupy Sales, please.


While one will never hear his songs on WPGU and the Chambana Music Mafia undoubtedly is blissfully unaware of his existence, Todd Fletcher is hands down one of the greatest local music success stories in recent memory.

Using the moniker June & the Exit Wounds Fletcher recorded his magnum opus, "...a little more Haven Hamilton, please" (Parasol 026) which would go on to sell nearly 15,000 copies domestically (not counting the 12" vinyl with bonus 7" or special Japanese editions).

His follow-up EP, "Color Harmony Jewels" (released only in Japan) pre-sold out its 2,500 limited edition.

Save a few local shows and a whirlwind press tour in Japan the press-shy Fletcher rarely promoted himself and instead focused on his music.

Fletcher continues to compose and record, but only for himself and a few lucky friends and his sophomore LP remains but a dream for legions of fans around the world. While maintaining a low-key existence far from the public eye, Fletcher did recently release the following statement:

Just want to mark this exciting occasion:

Tonight, at approximately 11:20PM, Feb 5, 2007, I surpassed Andy Rosa's Donkey Kong score of 152,000 points with a new personal best of 164,300 making me the unofficial 23rd best Donkey Kong player on Earth!

To Andy, and many others who have played this great game over the past 25 years, I would like to say:

suck it.

The Official Scoreboard

The laser light show that accompanied the record-shattering unofficial performance

The soundtrack: Disco to Get Drunk To Part 2


BONUS: If I can get my score up over a mil maybe I can get in this movie

I could not have done this without you - the fans!
peace!
Todd F

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donkey Kong, right? Whew . . . my Millipede title remains safe for now.

The Devas said...

Todd Fletcher's birthday approaches! You better buy him some cool shit.

Cassie said...

When I was a sophomore in college in 2000 I asked June & the Exit Wounds to play a benefit show I put together for an environmental group because I was too young and naive to know any better. For some reason they said yes. Probably because I looked up Todd's listed number and called him to ask point blank, again because I was too young and naive to know any better.

It was my first attempt at book a show on my own at a "real" venue (The Highdive), so I got a pretty big kick out of the fact that this fantastic band had agreed to play. I think that half the crowd watching their set was Parasol employees, but I was just excited that employees of Parasol would come to a show I booked.

Even though it was a small show, it's one of my favorite memories. I'll have to dig out my copy of Haven Hamilton.