Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Paul's Pissers


Sometimes I get pissed off.

Today’s topic: Dan Fogelberg’s holiday “classic” Same Auld Lang Syne

Granted – the man’s a musical genius, the proverbial leader of the band. However, every songwriter has their clunker. Look at The Police and “Every Breath You Take”, or U2 and “Desire” or the Sammy Hagar years of Van Halen . . . it happens. Fogelberg burdened us with Same Auld Lang Syne in 1981. For most of my life I have hated this song and its go-nowhere, never-ending verses and mind-numbing chorus. A couple weeks back, I turned on the Christmas radio station and guess what the first song of my holiday season was? Ugh. What’s even worse is somehow between last season and this one something changed . . . it didn’t sound as bad as I remembered. In fact, I found myself kind of enjoying it . . . kind of like that great feeling of scratching a mosquito bite before you realize that you’ve broken the skin

That pisses me off.

No comments: