Monday, January 28, 2008

Since You're Gone

International Music Correspondent Sari Maw reports that another cover band has bitten the dust . . .

Todd Rundgren has informed Billboard that the New Cars is on “indefinite hiatus at this point” . . . though the members are up for regrouping for corporate and private shows (imagine that). “We couldn’t get the rights to use the name the Cars, and the New Cars just confused everybody,” Rundgren offered up as excuses. "We didn't want to have to start all over again. And I've got my own music and my own audience; I had no reason to start trying to begin a new career with another band."

Rundgren has already started his next album, which he’s calling an “arena rock record.” Rundgren acknowledges that there’s an ulterior motive, “I figure it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy . . . I’ll end up playing arenas!”

The New Cars experiment started in spring 2006 and lasted about 18 months longer than anyone ever expected.

No comments: